On-demand connected transportation
In addition to traditional public transit modes, we offer solutions for low density or specific areas: on-demand transportation (ToD). In partnership with start-ups, we develop digital solutions to meet the needs of every passenger for the first and last mile.
On-demand transportation: complementary solutions to the existing network
Transport on Demand (ToD) meets specific travel needs to serve low density areas, areas not served by a regular lines or during times of low demand. Proposed in addition to the existing transit network, it addresses three commitments:
- help connect remote areas ;
- offer flexibility and freedom in everyday mobility;
- help improve social contact through solutions for everyone (populations with atypical schedules, remote areas and on-demand transportation solutions for people with reduced mobility).
We are increasingly transforming this offer into connected on-demand transportation, which facilitates booking procedures for travellers, allows for real-time information sharing and makes information transmission more fluid for the driver. Now that they have been modernised, our on-demand solutions rely on algorithms and application technologies that we have developed or in partnership with the most successful start-ups on the market.
In concrete terms, Transdev’s on-demand transportation is:
- more than 150 sites in France;
- of the traditional ToDs and connected ToDs, allowing for the optimisation of routes and services, easier reservations and real-time vehicle visualisation via an application;
- more than 300 engineers in four technology centres (in France, the Netherlands and the United States) to constantly improve the solutions, test new ones, develop applications and dedicated web sites;
- teams that work to ensure the proper fit between the product and each region and its complementarity with the existing network.
Our on-demand solutions
With Chronopro, Transdev is forging a link between public transit solutions
Four trial projects launched in August 2016 in Beauvais, Vitrolles, Courtaboeuf and Mulhouse are designed to provide an improved service for business areas located outside the public transit networks. The objective is to save time and to make day-to-day trips more comfortable.
On-demand transportation is encouraging new forms of mobility in Sydney
Guaranteeing mobility from the first to the last mile is central to Transdev’s strategy. In November 2017, we launched eight trial “on-demand transportation” projects in Sydney, Australia. In doing so, we are guaranteeing seamless mobility on a daily basis for the inhabitants of the country’s largest city.
In the Netherlands, Transdev is connecting transit networks to on-demand services
Incorporating on-demand transportation within traditional public transit services is a key aspect of our strategy, because it’s by guaranteeing fluid, seamless journeys that we will win over passengers and that public transit will gain in popularity! In 2016 we launched the Brengflex solution in the Netherlands, which is today being deployed on three of the country’s public transit networks: a minor revolution in day-to-day mobility.
In Florida, Transdev is ensuring that everyone has access to transit services
With the HART HyperLINK service, Transdev is improving access to low geographical density areas that are often inadequately served by public transit. In Tampa, we offer those living far away from a bus stop a dynamic “on-demand” solution, providing transportation from the first to the last mile.
We work with local authorities to offer tailor-made solutions: the areas to be covered, the customers, the specifications of the on-demand transit network to be implemented, are different for each project. Our adapted solutions cover four types of needs:
- stop-to-hub: moving from one stop in a defined area to one or more draw points (usually an exchange hub);
- stop-to-stop: moving from one stop to another stop in a defined area;
- end of line: moving from a stop on a regular line to a stop in a defined area and vice versa;
- virtual line: moving from one stop to another on a defined line, only on demand.
Portfolio of expertise First- and last-mileDownload
Chronopro: our 100% digital “stop-to-hub” solution
Attached to the idea of providing travellers with a total freedom of mobility, we have developed Chronopro, a 100% digital solution that promotes the use of public transit regardless of location, need or time:
- a unique application for all passengers throughout the region;
- a map centric tool which allows users to visualise the arrival of the vehicle on a map;
- a real-time interface that allows the driver to communicate any unforeseen events to travellers.
Currently deployed on four networks in France (Vitrolles, Beauvais, Courtabœuf and Mulhouse), Chronopro has already received very positive reviews.
Integrating carpooling into the existing network
To offer mobility solutions that allow more freedom and flexibility, we partner with the most successful start-ups to keep innovating.
We provide a complementary carpooling offer that integrates into the other modes of transport.
The key features? A complete, multi-modal integration offering travellers a seamless journey.